Areas of Internship Opportunities
Outpatient Counseling Services
Outpatient counseling services from a trained professional provide traditional clinic-based care for all age ranges and all diagnostic areas. At Behavior Management Systems, all outpatient counselors are Master’s level professionals with a wealth of varied experience providing the best educational internships for counselors.
More About Counseling Services
Community-Based Family Pathways Services
At Behavior Management Systems, our program is designed specifically to keep troubled families together. Additionally, our professional counselors provide services to children ages birth through ten in the clinic, school, home, daycare, or other environments familiar to the child.
More About Family Pathways
Major Mental Illness - Adults
Our adult services for adult clients with Severe and Persistent Mental Illness provide an environment where adults disabled by mental illness can develop confidence and the skills necessary to lead productive, satisfying lives. Our team assists clients in identifying their wants, needs, and desires, while building positive change in their lives.
More About Major Mental Illness
Why Intern With Us?
BMS internships for counselors provide a thorough, practical experience that can only be obtained in an agency-based work setting. Our program will provide mental health internship cohorts with the skills necessary to prepare them for the community behavioral health counseling field.
Interns will learn to:
- Apply the understanding of general principles and methods of case conceptualization, assessment of mental and emotional status, and diagnostic techniques by integration of technological strategies and applications within counseling processes.
- Apply advanced skills, including assessment and theoretical and philosophical bases of counseling, within the professional work setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of prevention techniques and resources applicable to clients served while utilizing the ability to identify and clarify a tentative personal theoretical counseling approach.
- Acquire and demonstrate adequate knowledge of available referral sources utilized by BMS counseling professionals within the regional catchment area.
- Gain understanding and appropriate experience in consultation with parents, teachers, families, other community providers, and BMS representatives.
- Document, in order, and clearly communicate to BMS supervisors the essential factors in each case in a manner that meets the industry documentation standards.
- Demonstrate knowledge of how administrative policies, procedures, and clinical practices affect the potential legal aspects and risks to the clinician and to BMS.
With a BMS mental health internship, the student will benefit from the experience of a professional relationship with a therapist working with BMS in the student's specialization through direct, face-to-face supervision for a minimum of one hour per week. Students also gain understanding and appropriate experience related to billing practices utilized by a community mental health center.
How to Apply…
To be considered for a BMS mental health internship, please
Want More Information? Download the Behavior Management Systems Internship Program Manual in a printable format:
BMS Intern Program Manual (.pdf)
Why Here, in the Black Hills?
BMS has been providing behavioral health care in Western South Dakota since 1948 and is the largest, most advanced community mental healthcare facility in the region. The company's core vision, then and now, is to build positive change among ourselves and the communities where we live, work, and play. BMS provides exceptional internships for counselors, social workers, and professionals hoping to enter the human service field.
South Dakota Department of Tourism
Set within the prairie, bluffs, and hills of Western South Dakota, Behavior Management Systems helps over 11,000 people annually through its offices in Rapid City, Spearfish, and Hot Springs. The Black Hills provide a beautiful opportunity to live, learn, and grow…